Sunday, March 22, 2015

Getting Closer

This last week I hit the 34 week mark...that means I have less than 6 weeks until we get to officially meet our baby boy. Surprisingly, I feel like since around week 28 time has been passing more quickly for me. I still have my slow days, but I can't believe I'm already 34 weeks along!
Wednesday March 18
We now have doctor's appointments every 2 weeks. So far all of our appointments have been about the same: I give a urine sample, have a weigh in and get my blood pressure checked then we go into a room and wait for the doctor. With the doctor we talk about any changes I'm experiencing, what to expect in the next few weeks and any questions we have, then the doctor listens to the baby's heartbeat and measures my belly (I am measuring between 34 and 35 weeks, so right about where I should be). Occasionally I get a vaccine or have a routine lab test.

These appointments are about to get a lot more exciting (and invasive). My 36 week appointment in two weeks will include a Strep-B test (vaginal swab), an ultrasound (yay!) to check to baby's position and the amount of amniotic fluid and the doctor will check to see if I am progressing at all. I know dilation and effacement are not really good predictors of when baby is coming, but it will still be exciting to be able to get progress reports at my weekly doctor's appointments as my body preps!

At my appointment this last Wednesday I told the doctor that I have been having some pretty bad cramping off and on and feeling a lot more pressure than usual. I even had my first Braxton Hicks this last week. My doctor said that all of that is a good sign that my cervix is thinning and baby is moving down and if the the cramping and pressure continues she doubts if I will go past 40 weeks and will probably even go into labor a little early! Sounds very exciting and scary all at the same time! And something else to add to Ryan's building anxiety that he is starting to feel.

She also said that 34 weeks is the point where if I went into labor now they would not try to stop it. At this point in pregnancy if my body goes into labor it is probably for a good reason (like there is some kind of infection or problem) that means the baby needs to come out. She said this early he would probably spend a couple days in the NICU, but that we would be taking a baby home after a short stay. By 37 weeks it would be very likely he would be fine and we would all go home right on time. Of course if I have to be induced early for any reason things would probably play out differently, but he would still probably not be in the NICU for too long, if at all.

Another interesting thing: I have only gained 1.5 lbs in the last month even though the baby has likely gained about 2 pounds all on his own (he should be about 5 pounds and as tall as 20 inches already). I'm at the point in my pregnancy where baby is packing on the pounds, gaining about 1/2 a pound a week. The doctor isn't worried about my lack of weight gain; I am probably losing weight close to the same rate the baby is gaining. Why the sudden weight loss in the third trimester when many women gain the most? It's thanks to my low carb, low sugar gestational diabetes diet.

I have been testing my blood sugar 3-4 times a day for the last month or so now. In the last two weeks I have had more and more of my tests come back high. I've never had more than one test a day come back high, but if I start getting two a day I will have to go on insulin. Needless to say I am now following my diet more strictly.

I have been cooking dinner more often, which usually consists of meat and a vegetable (I do miss mashed potatoes and pasta). For my first lunch I usually eat leftovers from dinner the night before and for my second lunch an Atkins meal bar, a few grapes and a string cheese (yes, I eat two lunches). I can still have my cereal for breakfast (lately it's been Life or Honey Nut Cheerios) as long as I have it with almond milk. I have only been allowing myself one glass of regular milk a day, usually with dinner, and get my calcium from the almond milk in the morning and string cheese or light yogurt for snacks. Oscar Meyer P3 protein packs (ham, cheese and almonds) have been a lifesaver; I often have one of those with some strawberries or raspberries as a snack.

For my sugar cravings I have sugar free candy, sugar free Popsicles and Diet 7-Up (I'm not usually a soda drinker, but since I can't have juice, ice cream, chocolate or cookies I need to get my sweets fix somewhere). I have also discovered Atkins Endulge candy bars: practically zero carbs and high in protein and fiber. They are surprisingly delicious and come in varieties that taste like Snickers (caramel nut), Mounds (coconut), M&Ms (chocolate candies) and Milky Way Caramel (chocolate caramel mousse). The two salty snacks I cannot live without right now: almonds and string cheese. I even take almonds with me in my purse when we go to movies.
What I've been snacking on

What I really want to snack on
This does not mean I am not buying any junk food. Easter is my favorite candy holiday, so of course I am stocking up! I love jelly beans. My favorites are the SweeTart, Starburst (especially the sour ones) and Jolley Rancher jelly beans. I also love Cadbury mini eggs (this year they have a new white chocolate variety that I admit I have tried and love) and Reese's Pieces Eggs. I am and will be buying lots of my favorite candies and saving them for after this baby comes when I can go back to eating sugar! I did open some...I can safely eat 5-6 jelly beans (which is never quite satisfying) so I have been giving myself teeny tiny daily treats! I can't wait until I can eat a White Kit Kat or some Butterfinger Cups (if you haven't tried them you should) and unlimited popcorn during a movie again!

I guess really I should be grateful that my limitations are keeping my weight down during pregnancy. Even though it will be less to lose later I still reason that it isn't fair to be limited and not be able to give into pregnancy cravings (unless I want to give birth to a 10+ pound baby). How I miss ice cream! And being able to have a cheeseburger AND an Oreo shake! I also can't wait to bake cookies again (because half the fun of baking treats is eating them). I'm just glad cheese is safe!

Well, all of this talk of food is making me very hungry...time to go find a boring, healthy snack...

No comments:

Post a Comment