Wednesday, September 10, 2014

One or Two Babies

We had our viability ultrasound this morning. The first thing the doctor said when he looked at the screen was that he saw two sacs which means twins. But upon closer inspection he realized that one of the sacs was considerably smaller than the other and that he could only see a trace of an embryo in it. Even though I am 7 weeks today, the small sac was measuring at 6 weeks 4 days. What we likely have is a vanishing twin.

A vanishing twin is a twin that never really develops normally and is eventually just reabsorbed by the body. We have to go back in for another ultrasound in two weeks to see if the vanishing twin has actually vanished. There is a VERY slim possibility that it could continue to develop but that is very unlikely and it would actually be better for it to disappear sooner rather than later. If it continues to develop it would likely result in a miscarriage which could cause some minor complications for the healthy baby.

The other embryo is perfect! It measures at 7 weeks 1 day (a day ahead) and looks exactly the way a 7 week embryo should. The doctor said it is just a tad smaller than a kidney bean. He also said that with how good and healthy everything looks we only have about a 5% chance of a miscarriage (which eased my fears). They gave us a bunch of pictures to take home (at least a dozen)...I want to carry them around with me! We even got to see and hear the heartbeat-a healthy 140 beats per minute! 

Our healthy little blueberry!
We are so excited! One perfect, healthy, growing baby is such good news! I was a little nervous, excited and scared this morning, so I am happy to have gotten good news. I admit that I had kindof gotten my hopes up for twins, but knowing that we are only going to have one is a bit of a relief; two babies would have been a little overwhelming (of course if you know me you know I'm always up for a challenge). I'm a little sad that one of the embryos isn't going to make it, but I'm glad the other one is so healthy! I'm SO excited!!! I think it's finally feeling more real for Ryan too (the constant nausea has made it pretty real to me). I'm already getting excited to see what our baby looks like in another 2 weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment